Tim has had extensive experience providing public law and policy advice to major corporates, key government departments, state owned enterprises and crown entities. He is also a leading advisor on regulatory law matters (including economic regulation) across a range of industry sectors including finance, transportation, health and energy.
Tim joined Russell McVeagh in 2005 to lead the Public Law and Policy practice. Prior to this, he established and led the Public Law and Policy Workgroup of another New Zealand Law firm. He is a contributing author of leading text, Brookers ‘Equity and Trusts in New Zealand’.
- Advising Ports of Auckland Ltd on a range of public law, regulatory and legislative issues.
- Advising the Auckland Transition Agency on a range of legislative issues through its creation and operation.
- Advising Watercare Services on a range of regulatory, legislative and policy issues, including the recent reforms to local government in Auckland arising from the Royal Commission.
- Advising Meridian Energy on a range of legislative issues arising from the Ministerial Review into the electricity sector and the associated industry and regulatory reforms.
- Drafting Bills for various Members of Parliament and Political Parties
- Advising NZTE, Creative NZ, Land Transport NZ, Lotteries Commission, ACC and Tourism NZ on a range of Crown Entity issues including; legislative design framework and interpretation; governance and conflicts of interest; preparation of policy and cabinet papers.
- Advising ONTRACK/NZ Railways Corporation on a range of public law, legislative framework and SOE issues.
- Advising the Department of Internal Affairs on a range of implementation and statutory interpretation issues around the Gambling Act 2003 (2003–2005).
- Advising the Ministry of Fisheries on a number of policy and legal issues around the cost-recovery mechanism for the quota system and the aquaculture settlement process.
- Advising Land Information NZ on a range of public law and policy issues including the land tenure review process, and preparation of associated cabinet papers.
- Advising LTNZ/Transfund on a range of public law and policy issues including legislative design issues around Land Transport Management Act, the competitive pricing procedures and the introduction of new technologies.
- Advising Telecom, Infratil, Vector and Auckland Airport on a law reform project in relation to economic regulation and the associated institutional framework, including the establishment of the Productivity Commission.
- Advising Westpac New Zealand Ltd on the drafting of the Bill to give effect to the Reserve Bank’s policy of local incorporation; and on the legislation and implementation of the financial advisors regulatory regime.
- Advising an off-shore private equity entity in relation to major investments in New Zealand and associated regulatory issues.
- Advising Auckland Airport on a range of policy, regulatory, legislative and government relations issues.
- Advising GPG plc on a Government relations strategy in relation to taxation reforms to the treatment of offshore investment income.
- Advising Turners & Growers on a law reform initiative for the de-regulation of the kiwifruit industry.
- Advising The International Rugby Board on policy, regulatory and legislative issues around the Major Event Management legislation; advising, generally on a range of issues in the lead-up to RWC 2011.
- Advising AIG, IAG, ING, Combined Insurance and ACE Insurance on the Insurance (Prudential Supervision) Bill.
- Advising Telecom New Zealand Limited on issues arising from a leak of cabinet sensitive information and the telecommunications regulatory frameworks.
- Advising the New Zealand Banker’s Association (and various trading banks) on the policy, regulatory and legislative issues around the regulation of the financial services industry and the Anti-Money Laundering regime.
- Advising Todd Energy on a range of climate change, public law and policy issues.
- Advising Exxon Mobil on a range of climate change, bio-fuels and other policy, regulatory and legislative issues; including various issues with the Crown Minerals Act and the Great South Basin.
- Advising Healthcare of NZ Ltd on a range of issues arising from allegations of conflict of interest at the Hawke’s Bay DHB including a Director-General’s Inquiry, Auditor-General’s inquiry and Serious Fraud Office investigation.
- Advising Voco Limited on conflict of interest issues and on SSC inquiry led by Neil Walter and associated issues.
- Advising Credit Agricole on regulatory issues around a $400m notes issue in New Zealand.
- Advising the Retirement Villages Association of New Zealand on a range of strategic and regulatory issues, including a successful judicial review proceeding against the Crown on the Code of Practice.
- Advising Pfizer on law reform issues in the pharmaceutical industry and intellectual property framework.
- Advising the Listed Companies Association on reforms to the Companies Act.
LLB (Hons) BCom (Economics) Otago University
LLM (Hons) Cambridge University
Admitted to practise in New Zealand in 1994
Partner: Russell McVeagh (since 2005 )
Partner: Kensington Swan (2001-2005)
Associate: Kensington Swan (1994-2000)
Admitted: New Zealand (1994)
Member of the Board of Management of Russell McVeagh (since 2008)
Member of the Institute of Public Administration of New Zealand
Member of the Law and Economics Association of New Zealand
Member of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in New Zealand
Member of the Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulations